Tuesday 27 January 2015

My time in Gaza

Last Thursday the CADFA open meeting took place. The program included questions and talks about recent projects and a presentation  about my time in Khan Younis (Gaza). In addition Emilio and I organised some refreshments such as falafel and humus, because everyone loves them.

I visited my family in Gaza 3 times, in 2000,2005 and the last time in 2012. Of course, the 6 weeks in summer 2012 are the most memorable for me. 

Its true people are suffering from the blockade and the economic situation, especially unemployment is a big problem. Also space is constricted. Its nearly impossible to buy land and to build your own family house. So its hard for young people to move on and prepare for the future. But on the other hand I had such a lovely time.Of course this time is shaped by my family, all my cousins, aunts and uncles. They are the best. Families are much closer in Palestine compared to Germany. But this is not the only thing. I did lots of nice and fun activities, like going to the beach, market or ice cream shop. One day I went with my cousin to a leisure park. My cousin worked there. Another special day was, when I spent a day in Al-Alqsa University.

An alley between the houses. This is very common in Gaza, because of the lack of space.

The beach, my favourite place in Khan Younis. It's so clean and beautiful. 

Dunja x

No comments:

Post a Comment